“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this:.. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:29-31
“If you love me, keep my commands.”
The Ten Commandments
The commandments were given to Moses in ancient times, Exodus 20:1–17 and they are also referenced in other books of scripture, Matthew 19:18–19; Romans 13:9. The Ten Commandments are the basic laws of the Gospel. God asked that we follow them if we are to love him.
1. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” Exodus 20:3
2. “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” Exodus 20:4
3. “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” (Exodus 20:7).
4. “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Exodus 20:8).
5. “Honor thy father and thy mother” (Exodus 20:12). This commandment remains binding throughout our lives and can be understood in several ways: We should honor our fathers and our mothers who are our ancestors; we should be grateful to the father and mother who provided our earthly bodies; we should honor those who raised us in the knowledge of the truth. Above all, we should honor our Heavenly Parents. The way we honor all these fathers and mothers is by keeping the commandments.
6. “Thou shalt not kill” (Exodus 20:13).
7. “Thou shalt not commit adultery” (Exodus 20:14).
8. “Thou shalt not steal” (Exodus 20:15). Stealing is a form of dishonesty.
9. “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16).
10. “Thou shalt not covet” (Exodus 20:17).
Love Your Neighbor
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them,..”
Ideas from scripture on how to love your neighbor
Be a Peacemaker
Jesus taught “blessed are the peacemakers..” (Matthew 5:9) We can help reduce contention by being humble and quick to forgive.
Jesus taught “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. (Matthew 5:7) While it may not always be easy, this is a good longterm plan to be free of negativity.
“Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep. “(Romans 12:15) Celebrate others success and be kind when people are going through a rough time.
We can all use a hand once an a while, doing things to help others out is surely following the greatest commandment Jesus gave us.
Other Resources to Help Serve Others